Variable Speed Drive & Controls Engineer
Are you ready to take the next step in your engineering career?
Join DSI/Dynamatic as its next Variable Speed Drive Engineer (Engineer), a position essential to our growth and continued success of the organization, and where your talents will be fully utilized and rewarded.
The Engineer, under minimal supervision of the V.P. of Engineering, performs all tasks related to the design, manufacturing and support of the Dynamatic line of eddy current clutches, brakes and controls. These products are found in many applications where speed and or torque control is required. While similar in some ways to variable frequency drives, our products have certain characteristics that are advantageous in certain applications. This role serves as a pivotal point of communication during the entire development, manufacturing, and sales process. They will interface directly with customers, sales, and manufacturing team members to ensure our products meet with our internal and industry standards while also meeting the needs of the customer. Installation and/or repair support done at the customer’s facility will require 30-40% of time traveling.
What will your day look like?
Your responsibilities will include:
- Electrical control design work. This includes modifying existing controller layouts to meet specialized customer needs as well as new designs and updating outdated components.
- Mechanical & Brake design work. This includes modifying existing designs as well as developing new product, which may be different from any current designs.
- Develop prints and bills of material for modified and new mechanical and electrical products using our internal production software along with computer aided tools.
- Provide in-house customer technical support. This includes directly assisting customers as well assisting inside and outside salespeople when required.
- Perform in-house equipment testing and repair as well as onsite commissioning of controls and systems installed at the customer’s facility
- Provide start-up and/or repair outside service and system integration including customer training and support.
- Assisting our suppliers. Dynamatic has a number of industry partners that machine, assemble and manufacture numerous parts for us. When challenges occur meeting our specifications and/or requirements, engineering assistance is provided.
- Assisting our production and purchasing departments. This entails solving problems that may arise with shop equipment, product specifications or obsolete components.
- System Integration. We are sometimes asked to include products that may by typically outside our scope, such adding a pump control programmable logic controller to one of our drive control packages. This individual will need to be comfortable with products that may be unfamiliar.
- Controller Software. Design work to modify Visual basic, C or assembly programs used by our controllers is needed from time to time to meet special requirements.
- Warranty Issues. Engineering is tasked with determining if warranty applies in a given situation and may need to directly deal with the customer as well as proposing changes to mitigate future problems.
What makes you the right fit?
- You are curious, take initiative, are as comfortable working independently as you are working with a team.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and a strong desire to resolve internal and external customer challenges.
- You have strong written communication skills that articulate clear reasoning and instructions.
- You are quality-conscious and have strong-attention to detail.
- You are dependable, resourceful, and efficient.
- You are proficient in AUTOCAD Electrical or equivalent computer aided design tool as well as Microsoft Office.
- You have a firm knowledge of electronic controls and their use in industry.
- You have experience in applying AC variable frequency drives, DC drives, servo Drives, motors or the design of controls.
- A technical or engineering degree is preferred, but equivalent work experience will be considered.
Why join the DSI/Dynamatic Team?
At DSI/Dynamatic, the world’s leading manufacturer of eddy current variable speed drives, brakes, clutches, and controls, we place great value growth-minded individuals who thrive on challenges and like to celebrate wins. We also believe our team members are crucial to our success. That is why in addition to offering competitive wages in a casual atmosphere, we offer a full benefits package that includes the following at no cost to the employee!
- Medical: FSA and HRA Account
- Life & Long-Term Disability
- Paid Time Off
If this sounds like a fit for you, submit your resume or contact our HR department at 262-898-3565 today!